[Tfug] Microsoft reportedly wants open source software users to pa y rolyalties

Ronald Sutherland rsutherland at epccs.com
Thu May 17 18:24:22 MST 2007

Joe Blais wrote:
>> Software patents do seem odd to me. Software is more like writing, which
>> is a copyright type art. I’m sure many will disagree on this next point:
>> human minds process writing with learned tools. While a CPU processes
>> machine code, which is not learned. Python, Java, dotNet are all p-code,
>> which is a translation tool for the CPU. So when a computer does its
>> thing to a Python script how different is that from the translations
>> going on in my mind between character shapes/patterns and my other mind
>> tools that end up as thoughts. I guess what I’m saying is a patent of
>> the machine, thus the CPU, seems fine but not the flow of ideas though it.
>>
>> Patents are for ideas that can make or perform, for example an engine
>> performs compression, combustion, and expansion to convert some heat
>> into mechanical work.
>>
>> A computer processes binary instructions to perform a sort algorithm. At
>> the moment a sort algorithm can be a patent. However things processed
>>

> I think a process can also be patented, for instance some new process to
> recover copper from very low grade ore, or from waste materials.
>
> Joe
If I'm reading the books correctly a patent must be comprised of at
least three elements, combined in a previously unknown (or
unappreciated)  and non-obvious way. The result of the combination must
be useful. So combing processes would be fine if they are the elements,
I would count compression, expansion, combustion as processes but I'm
biased about that. I'm still a little confused but it sounds like a
chemical itself can't be patented, but the way it is made and how it is
used can be. Nature can't be patented, which is why a molecule can't
itself be a patent, but grafting a tree to another can (what is the 3rd
element?), very interesting stuff.

FYI: I caught a bit of NPR on the way home from work and I guess this
stuff is all the buzz now, a starting examiner makes 80k$ O.o, $.$,  I
may try to sing up. Anyway off to play a MMORPG (not WoW).