[Tfug] Microsoft reportedly wants open source software users to pa y rolyalties

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Thu May 17 16:52:38 MST 2007

On May 17, 2007, at 3:10 pm, Jude Nelson wrote:

> M$ took their networking code from BSD, not VMS, as I recall.
Yes, networking code is from BSD. But the kernel design owes a lot to
VMS, because Cutler, the chief architect of NT also designed VMS. He
brought 20 of his Digital co-conspirators with him as well.

Then there's that whole "V+1 M+1 S+1" thing. Unlike "I-1 B-1 M-1",
it's probably true.

Russinovich's article is pretty good, and this is about the only
place you'll find it for free, so remember to keep it if you want it!
http://web.archive.org/web/20020503172231/http://www.win2000mag.com/
Articles/Print.cfm?ArticleID=4494
R.