[Tfug] Microsoft reportedly wants open source software users to pa y rolyalties

Stephen Hooper stephen.hooper at gmail.com
Thu May 17 16:31:48 MST 2007

On 5/17/07, Stephen Hooper <stephen.hooper at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/17/07, Jude Nelson <judecn at gmail.com> wrote:
> > M$ took their networking code from BSD, not VMS, as I recall.
> >

> Their TCP/IP code.  Yes, I have heard that before.
>
> I thought Windows networking was partially inspired by a bunch of guys
> they hired from DEC.  I don't know though, maybe that was just a
> rumour...
>
> I do know that a bunch of people who worked on OpenVMS were hired by
> Microsoft...
>
>From Wikipedia:

Meanwhile Microsoft continued to develop Windows NT. The main
architect of the system was Dave Cutler, one of the chief architects
of VMS at Digital Equipment Corporation (later purchased by Compaq,
now part of Hewlett-Packard). Microsoft hired him in 1988 to create a
portable version of OS/2, but Cutler created a completely new system
instead. Cutler had been developing a follow-on to VMS at DEC called
Mica, and when DEC dropped the project he brought the expertise and
some engineers with him to Microsoft. DEC also believed he brought
Mica's code to Microsoft and sued. Microsoft eventually paid $150
million U.S. and agreed to support DEC's Alpha CPU chip in NT.