[Tfug] Microsoft reportedly wants open source software users to pa y rolyalties

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Wed May 16 22:58:00 MST 2007

Can anyone point to a decent justification for software (or business)
patents?  Because, to me, the whole idea sounds absurd.  As I
understand it, patents are to protect implementations so as to
encourage research and innovation which, ultimately, benefits society
as a whole.  (This, of course, assumes a neoclassical economic model
which is a questionable assumption, but that's a discussion for
another time and venue.  Yes, I'm looking at you, Jude...)

What I'm thinking, though, is that I've only heard the FLOSS side of
the story.  Could it be that I'm misunderstanding the
[theoretical/social] benefit of software/business patents?  Can anyone
point to a discussion that argues that software patents do, in fact,
serve the greater good?

C.