[Tfug] Microsoft reportedly wants open source software users topay rolyalties

Jude Nelson judecn at gmail.com
Tue May 15 15:32:25 MST 2007

The irony of the situation is perfect.  On one hand, Microsoft "claims" that
there are 235 patents that Linux infringes upon, but fails to enumerate (in
fact, openly refuses to enumerate) them or to show exactly how they are
infringed, and has openly admitted that they aren't going to sue anyone at
this time for using Linux without paying them royalties.  M$ has been caught
in an awkward situation--no one is taking them seriously, and the
shareholders won't be happy if M$ does nothing about the perceived
infringement.  On the other hand, the only way M$ can make people take them
seriously is to actually make an example out of one of the users by taking
them to court, but unfortunately for them that would eventually mean taking
on the likes of IBM, Sun Microsystems, Autozone, Chrysler, Google, HP, 30
million pissed-off Linux users, the city of Munich, the US government, the
EU, Dell, Red Hat, the FSF, Canonical, (maybe) Novell, etc., which have a
net economic worth and net patent portfolio so vast that even if all of M$'s
claims were valid, the legal fees alone would greatly outweigh any gains
from damages they'd receive.  Not only that, but it's bad PR (almost
RIAA-like), and there would be many legal backlashes regarding whether or
not their patents were valid to begin with (seriously, does anyone think
their patent on the concept of "sudo" will NOT be dismissed on grounds of
prior art?).  I think we're seeing the beginning of the end of the M$
hegemony--if 235 patent infringement cases is all the ammo they have, then
they've been screwed for years.  Once GPL3 comes out in July, even
cross-patent-licensing deals like the one they made with Novell will be
illegal (they're starting to whine about the GPL3 "breaking our bridge
between the proprietary and open source worlds"), preventing them from
making money out of licensing fees.

Or they'll try to sue someone, and go the way of SCO.