[Tfug] sata raid support

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Fri May 11 18:47:17 MST 2007

Robert Hunter wrote:

> A couple of weeks ago we lost chilled water distribution to our building,
> which incidentally is what drives the AC in our computer room.  Nevermind
> that it was a scheduled event and that no one notified the computer staff
> in our building.

My favorite where I used to work was the once a month Wednesday 5 AM
generator tests.

This is where they kill the utility power and see if the generators
would kick on and transfer power to the "emergency" outlets.

Always had a bunch of stuff go down because it would do weird things
that even the UPS's couldn't cope with.

I dreaded the Wednesday morning "daily service review" meetings on those
days because we would always have a bunch of severity 2's and have to
convene a service recovery team.

Then there was the time the 1A data closet was 104 degrees for over a
week.  Killed the batteries in the UPS and didn't do anything good for
the router and switches.

A damper failed in the closed position.  Calls to the facilities
department always got the "We're working on it" answer.  We ended up
propping the door open and putting a big floor fan in the closet.

The 3A closet had a permanent floor fan because no one wanted to pay to
  upgrade the cold air delivery to the closet.  They kept expanding and
we kept adding network gear but no one would pay attention to our heat
load data.

Working for a big corporate IT department wasn't a lot of fun at times.

George Cohn