[Tfug] sata raid support

Robert Hunter hunter at tfug.org
Fri May 11 17:24:53 MST 2007

> is) I'm curious why you guys didn't go with RAID 5+1 or something along
> those lines. Doesn't RAID 6 kill your write performance, as you're
> basically taking RAID 5's already not-so-great write performance and
> halving it? Is whatever your serving more read-intensive than write
> intensive, which justifies RAID 6?

A couple of weeks ago we lost chilled water distribution to our building,
which incidentally is what drives the AC in our computer room.  Nevermind
that it was a scheduled event and that no one notified the computer staff
in our building. Also, let's just overlook the fact that there was a
remote temperature probe in the room that was misconfigured, and thus
failed to page anyone that the temperature in the computer room was about
115F for several hours.  The end result was that we lost a disk each in
two of our file-servers ( RAID5 ) due to thermal failure.  RAID6 is
looking very attractive to us right now.

--
Rob