[Tfug] using ssh key for sudo auth?

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Thu May 10 01:15:56 MST 2007

I think it is timing out correctly, I was probably confused.

However, there is another issue to be aware of.  I didn't realize this
was looking at the PASSPHRASE of your PRIVATE keys on the local
userid, not the public key you authenticated with.

By default, the /etc/pam.d/pam-ssh-auth looks at all the standard
private key filenames - id_dsa, id_rsa, etc.

This means that if you enable this, any no-passphrase private key for
the current user will allow no-passphrase sudo access.  Even if you
type an incorrect passphrase, it will still allow sudo.

I got around this by manually changing pam-ssh-auth to only check the
keyfile that I care about.  I have to have no-passphrase keys for
automated code deployment, backups, and such.  It would be better to
not have a default-named no-passphrase key at all, and instead give it
a custom name, and then explicitly specify the keyfile name for a
specific host in the ssh config file using IdentityFile.

Anyway, PAM is definitly going to do what I wanted, after I fix all
the bad security practices I was doing already :).  Thanks again.