[Tfug] Ubuntu 7.04

bryann brymelvin at melvinart.com
Sat May 5 20:27:38 MST 2007

> Finally got around to installing ubuntu 7.04 to harddrive. Wow, really
> nice system. Fast install, everything working. Seems to run pretty
> fast. Price is just right. Trying to decide which system I want to run
> and this is looking like a winner. Automatix2 installed without any
> problems. Can't wait to install all those programs! Anyone ever use
> xDVDshrink?

Automatix tends to break things later...in particular when you go to do
a distribution upgrade, The ubuntu lists are full of "it broke"
complaints with automatix.

Linspire click n run is shortly going to be 7.04 compatible and has
access to codecs for multimedia. Additionaly if you BUILD a computer for
someone else...the Linspire route is the only LEGAL way to do all the
multimedia in the US. Linspire has bought rights

FWIW if you NEED multimedia immediately there are other ways of doing it
without automatix.

Myself I use crossover for Coreldraw....so I just install win32 firefox
win media player and real player,

This is COMPLETELY unrelated to linux packages so when linspire comes
through I'll just install what's needed and then change the associations
sequence... which is simple ( I use Kubuntu). Gnome seems to get weird
sometimes with Crossover associations.