[Tfug] Blameless Parts Trafficking

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat May 5 14:59:58 MST 2007

--- erich <erich1 at copper.net> wrote:

> Heh,
>       I've been using a NEC8100, (Which I got from
> Worldcare, of course),
> as an X-host. I installed an old version of SUSE in
> it. It has an old

The advantage of true *appliances* (I assume an
NEC8100 is a generic PeeCee?) is they are (nearly)
stateless making maintenance a lot easier (no need
to wonder *what* has crept onto your disk drive
since there is *no* disk drive -- or writeable
store -- that can be corrupted/altered/modified/etc.)

> version
> of an x-server that doesn't have all the
> mind-boggling security features
> that defeat the network-transparency of X. (Newer
> versions of the X-server
> typically use SSH, but then a lot of my machines
> don't understand SSH)

Yup.  :<  This is the case with many of my appliances.
OTOH, it also tends to keep them running "faster"
given their dated hardware, etc.

My solution is just to run these things on an
un-routed portion of my network.  Then, I don't
worry *what* "leaks" out  :>

>       X- clients connect to it from all over my
> house: Including legacy DOS
> machines, and the latest & greatest Gentoo machines.

--don