[Tfug] [johns at fsf.org: Help research law school courses and, "intellectual property"]

Felix Tilley fetilley at earthlink.net
Sat May 5 14:10:19 MST 2007

IANAL.  I am a radar guy.

If you are near the UA, you should go to the book store and find the
Nutshell series from West Publishing.  In particular, "Intellectual
Property in a Nutshell."

In the US, the term "Intellectual Property" has been around a very long
time.  When I was working for Hughes Aircraft/Raytheon, they offered
courses on IP several times a year.

Intellectual Property is a course for first semester law students.

In the US, there are four kinds of intellectual property:

1.  Patents

2.  Trademarks

3.  Copyrights

4.  Trade secrets

Although patents and copyrights are mentioned in the same clause in the
US Constitution, the laws on patents and copyrights are entirely
different and unrelated.  Lawyers who handle copyright cases may decline
patent cases, and vice versa.

Somehow, I don't think I answered the question.

Felix in Tucson