[Tfug] Qt Library [Shocking use of]

Stephen Hooper stephen.hooper at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 20:33:34 MST 2007

On 3/28/07, Robert Hunter <hunter at tfug.org> wrote:
> > Would you consider using software "server" that used the Qt library
> > (not for GUI stuff)?
>
> Qt tries to be more than just a GUI toolkit.  It attempts to be a general
> purpose portable API for many things, such as networking, threads,
> database, ADTs, etc.  Various other projects do something similar, such
> as Gtk ( via Glib ), and wxWidgets.  Heck, even Apache has the APR.

I do understand that to some extent, but let me put this another
way... if you were looking for an FTP server, would you seriously look
at one that is compiled against Qt?  Why would you, or why wouldn't
you?

I guess maybe what I don't like is that it reeks of a Windows approach
to programming.

Which seems Ok to a certain extent for applications like Konqueror, or
OpenOffice.  I just don't really understand the need to "unify" this
at the level of a server.  It shows to me that the people were too
lazy to do the "right" thing.

I can understand it more in Apache as it used by Apache, but I can
tell you the first time someone decides that I need the APR to be able
to run a GUI app I think I will cry.

> Jamie Zawinksi said, "every program attempts to expand until it can read
> mail. Those programs which cannot so expand are replaced by ones which
> can."  I suppose you could apply that principle in some manner to large,
> successful, software projects.

Oh my god... that is such a scary concept to me that it I may begin to
have a blackout reminiscent of the first time someone told me they
were using emacs to surf the web...

Thanks for the viewpoint though.  I guess it is in keeping with
current philosophies that people are evincing.

Maybe I am becoming a dinosaur... one tool,one purpose; chain the
tools, reach a goal.

"...oh my desert yours is the only death I cannot bear."
—Richard Shelton