[Tfug] virtual machines, was: Re: battery life, power management and windows vs linux

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Thu Mar 22 13:34:05 MST 2007

> How about VMWare or Xen... both virtualize Windows and allow character
> and block device pass-through (e.g. connecting the USB directly to the
> windows instance. Last I checked both Xen and VMWare are a heck of a lot
> faster than Qemu.
>
> Link:
> Users running Zemax under VMWare report 80% native speed.
> http://www.zemax.com/kb/articles/41/5/What-Computer-Should-I-Buy-to-Run-ZEMAX/Page5.html

Why would you expect VMWare or Xen to be faster? I tried kqemu a few
weeks back and it was pretty snappy, now it looks like KVM will be
even better now that I have a processor that supports vmx. (I was
using qemu generically to include kqemu and kvm which, if I understand
correctly, are two kernel modules for qemu depending on the proc you
have.)

BTW, this is retardedly easy to setup on debian:
http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki/Debian