[Tfug] battery life, power management and windows vs linux

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Wed Mar 21 10:09:47 MST 2007

I was reading something the other day and ran across the link below. The
current kernel runs "hot" all of the time; even when it is not busy.
There is a project to make the kernel "tickless" so that if it is doing
nothing it is really doing nothing. This appears to be directly related
to improving battery life and helping keep laptops cool enough to
actually have on your lap.

http://kerneltrap.org/node/7749