[Tfug] battery life, power management and windows vs linux

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at northwestern.edu
Wed Mar 21 08:58:46 MST 2007

On 3/21/07, Ranjan Grover <ranjan.grover at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just a thought, but are both operating systems accurately calculating the
> > time left, or is one over/under estimating?
>
> Tha's a very good point. The real test would be to see how long the
> battery really lasts by just leaving the computer idle till the
> battery runs out and comparing it between windows and linux.

That's true, I agree with both of you that the *real* test would be to
run the battery down and time it, but I just like booting into windows
for that long. :-)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that
the modern 'smart batteries' do all the time remaining and charge
calculations internally and report via acpi. I was therefor operating
under the assumption that the reported charge / time remaining was
completely OS independent and based only on the current/power drain.

That said, I could see a case being made for not trusting these
semi-instantaneous values and I agree, the real test would be to run
it out on both sides.

> Maybe using a different cpufreq governer might help. I'm using the
> cpufreq-userspace instead of ondemand although I'm not completely sure
> of either's technical details. Also NTFS does not support block
> journaling whereas ext3 does, so the difference in the power could be
> the hard drive and how the filesystem interacts with it.

That should be taken care of with laptop-mode and the settings of
hdparm. My disk is currently set to spin up every 10 minutes (when on
battery) to write journalling info if there is otherwise no disk
activity required before that.