[Tfug] X again

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Sun Mar 18 12:59:39 MST 2007

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 07:42:04PM +0000, Earl wrote:
> I would like to change this somewhat in the default configuration. My
> problem is that all of the man pages and "Running Linux 3rd Edition"
> refer to either /usr/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc or
> /usr/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc. When I look for either of these files, I
> can get as far as /usr/lib/X11/. There is no xinit directory.
>
> Do I need a window manager like twm? I am not sure on this.

I'm not sure what you mean by "default configuration" but Debian sets
default X preferences in /etc/X11/Xsession and related.  User
customization of X11 in ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession (the latter is
preferred).  That's also where you specify your WM.  (Debian will
supply a default WM via /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager.)

Claude