[Tfug] UA Wireless

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Thu Mar 15 13:21:37 MST 2007

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 01:57:12PM -0500, JD Rogers wrote:
> I'm no longer at UA, but I know something about this..
> The 'super duper' wireless network is simply VPN[1].

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, this isn't the case
anymore.  The new wireless system is described at
http://ccit.web.arizona.edu/index.php?id=ssids.

In short, the old "UAWireless" is going away.  "UAPublic" is throttled
and doesn't permit anything but port 80; if they would just open up
22, it would make things much easier.  "UAWifi" is WPA2/PEAP.  There's
also (or will be) a "UAGuest" for visiting scholars.  All of the new
networks are behind a NAT, which can, of course, cause some problems
but is probably worth it.

This is all to the best of my knowledge.  If someone knows better,
please chime in.

I haven't tried VPNing in across the UAPublic but I don't imagine it
would work.

The WPA2 network is what's currently causing me grief in that my
connection gets dropped probably once an hour or so.  But I've yet to
figure out if the issue is on my end (wpa_supplicant or my module) or
their's (maybe the hardware in my office or the config).  I do know
that others at TFUG have't had the same problems that I have.

Frankly, it easiest (for me) to just plug in.  You get a stable, fast
connection that's not behind a NAT.  But, then again, I have an office
and am not moving around a lot.

Claude