[Tfug] Hello

Brian Murphy murphy+tfug at email.arizona.edu
Thu Mar 15 00:53:38 MST 2007

Quoting christopher floess <skeptikos at gmail.com>:
> Well the way I understand it, they will apply to Linux eventually. I kind of
> thought policing the software I run was like Cox policing the software I
> run. What's the difference (I'm really asking here, not being rhetorical)? I
> also thought that the UAPublic SSID would be phased out once WiFi is fully
> implemented.

I don't see any difference.  The network provider has a right to control
devices attached to their network.  Otherwise chaos would ensue.  Ask
the UA Library or Purchasing department if you don't agree.
(http://cert.arizona.edu/index.php?id=2044)

In regards to NAC software on linux.  First, I haven't seen it.  Second,
at this point, I wouldn't trust it any more than an ident service.
Third, I may be pulled in to a newly forming central information
technology security team as a unix expert.  Trust me, I don't want to
see anyone running linux get screwed by crappy software or undue
burden.

I don't know of any plans to phase out UAPublic.  Too many cries of land
grant institution, visitors, contractors, etc.

Brian

The opinions or statements expressed herein are my own and should not be
taken as a position, opinion, or endorsement of the University of
Arizona.