[Tfug] Linux on Dell

Bryann Melvin brymelvin at melvinart.com
Thu Mar 8 19:16:28 MST 2007

> We were checking with dell for XP machines, I heard they were $50 or $100
> more too...
> Joe

This actually makes sense:

Dell probably pays a small amount for the preloaded windows. Then they get
paid varied amounts by Vendors for all the "trial" junk  ip signups (net
zero aol msn etc) wordperfect office virus scan etc(or maybe sometimes ms
office)
... a days worth of uninstalls. I just took all that &^&%^% out of a
relatives computer...and yes I know I should have encouraged a unix
variant...actually I did...sort of .....I got them a mac notebook ...which
I ended up taking back and now I run Ubuntu on it :D  They unfortunately
can't abide anything other than windows and internet explorer....aggghh
After several indepth lessons they STILL think the "firefox" I put in is a
type of firewall and won't use it to browse...(what's abrowser I just want
to get on the internet?).Gee I wonder what they would think "seamonkey" is.

Eventually it will probably get Ubuntu plus crossover in it...They've also
trashed everything a couple of times. (They don't update the virus scan
and they insist on reading EVERYTHING that is diverted to their "junk" box
on their webmail.)One of these days soon it will need a reinstall. If they
want me to do it...Id won't be windows.

Anyway I digress: In addition to not getting paid for (noputting all the
ad crap in a nonwindows computer.The might also be opting for a hardware
modem and a nic and possibly wireless that is going to work in most unix
type installs Like Solaris of Redhat.It might be worth looking at to check
that.

Everytime I update the kernel on my husbands computer I have to redo the
Linuxant driver. controllerless/software modems are the norm...maybe they
are putting in something else. Anything different is going to drive up the
cost some.

Bryann

Melvin Graphics http://www.melvinart.com