[Tfug] BSD flavors

Stephen Hooper stephen.hooper at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 16:25:48 MST 2007

On 3/6/07, Matthew T. Eskes <meskes at gmail.com> wrote:
> From what I've seen, fBSD runs just about on par with what you see in linux
> and the nice thing about it, is that it's actually a UNIX. Other than that,
> there's a lot of drivers from what I've seen that have been borrowed from
> the linux kernel.

Last time I used it had less support from commercial companies: like
NVidia, Dell, RAID manufacturers, etc.

I think there are both Nvidia, and ATI commercial drivers now... but I
am not sure how much you would want to rely on them being there (not
saying that they won't be, but... )

It has done well on all my home machines:  at the time I was basically
just buying hardware that I knew was guaranteed to work with Linux.

I guess it depends on what you are going to use it for.

It also has less support from commercial apps that are compiled only,
but you weren't really asking about that :)