[Tfug] BSD flavors

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 16:20:29 MST 2007

--- Matthew Patenaude <mnglfiddle at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know some of you out there use FreeBSD and what
> not. I was wondering how
> it does with hardware recognition. What about
> Dragonfly?
>
> Any info would be appreciated. I have tried the
> Freesbie LiveCD before and liked it.

I ran FBSD from 0.9 (installed from a gazillion 5"
floppies!) through about 2.x (I still have 2.2.8 on a
development machine).

I was quite happy with it until they adopted the
"WeWantToBeLinux" mentality (i.e. shoveling tons
of features into the distribution without getting
previous features working completely, etc.).
When a bug in the SCSI driver politely scrambled
a couple of disk archives, I figured it was time
to move to more stable waters...  :<  (note
that I always ran a -release version; never a
-current or even -stable!).

Of the *BSD, I now run NetBSD -- and have for several
years.  I have not been disappointed in the "OS"
(kernel + base distribution) though many of the
"packages" (perhaps a misnomer since the FBSD camp
had very distinct definitions of package vs. port
and these differ from what you would expect in
NBSD-land) are not quite up to par (e.g., I
have to shake out some bugs in the emacs build
for NBSD 3.1 RSN)

HTH,
--don