[Tfug] TUSD Tech Nightmare

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 5 08:06:59 MST 2007

If they were a for profit org they would spend 1/2 as much and expect twice as much from it.

I'll be there are some real brains at the U that could really use some advanced hardware that are having difficulty getting it.

"Bowie J. Poag" <bpoag at comcast.net> wrote: I hope it's not like this elsewhere in the country...

Every school's IT department i've ever seen has been, in some facet,
comically mismanaged. Largely good people, but absolutely helpless
technologically. It borders on sad.. Dumping tons of money at problems
they don't understand, for software they dont use, and sold enormous
amounts of hardware so far beyond their needs it boggles the mind.  One
place I saw here in town had a dedicated quad processor Wintel box as a
webserver...serving precisely half a dozen webpages. 6 HTML documents.
$300 a month if I remember correctly, spent on a dedicated T1 for a
webserver that saw practically zero traffic. A 56k modem would have been
overkill for that thing.

Even the UofA has it's issues. I used to *routinely* pick up NeXT
workstations from the UofA auctions. $10k-$15k Unix workstations who's
function could have easilly been replicated with a simple X terminal.
And besides, why NeXT?  When I worked for UofA, there was a woman in our
department that had managed to get her own SGI o2 gumdrop workstation,
which, at the time, was about $12k. A massive hot-rod graphics
workstation. Her justification for buying it? "It looked user friendly,
like my Mac at home". When she found out it wasn't a Mac, it just
collected dust in her office. A couple grad students ended up using it
as an X terminal to contact a bunch of antique RS/6000's I maintained.
Nothing I could do about it but shake my head in disbelief at how
financially irresponsible (and occasionally corrupt!) the department was.

Ahhh, the stories I could tell you over a beer.. :)

Cheers,
Bowie

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options: