[Tfug] which mail clients do people use

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Fri Mar 2 12:13:25 MST 2007

At 02:02 PM 3/2/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>christopher floess wrote:
>> Ditto on the vi and csh. People always ask me who uses csh
>
>Csh Programming Considered Harmful:
>http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/
>
>:)

Yeah, well I'm not a sysadmin and don't write install scripts or stuff that
goes in the bootup chain, so neener.  I'm a slob Fortran programmer who
just needs tools that work for me.

I do agree that if you're going to write system scripts you need to know
and understand how sh or bash works and be proficient at it.  For the
"great unwashed masses", whatever works is fine.  Shell snobbery is
counter-productive.  Sorry, but I get a bit tense when sh types sneer down
there nose at us lowly csh/tcsh folk.

I knew of one poor soul who was so attached to DOS that he wrote a DOS
emulator to live within a *nix shell.  I think he learned perl in order to
do this, which is just wrong on so many levels.  At least he wasn't
addicted to JCL, or some other mind-numbing control/scripting "language"
from the past.

Jim
| Jim Secan           | Northwest Research Assoc, Inc |
| (jim at nwra.com)      | 2455 E. Speedway, Suite 204   |
| (520) 319-7773      | Tucson, Arizona 85719         |