[Tfug] Tfug] *Way* OT: Swamp c -- data

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 25 11:50:01 MST 2007

--- Jeremy D Rogers <jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu>
wrote:

> On 6/22/07, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > OK.  Some shirt-cuff numbers...
>
> Very cool! (no pun intended) I love doing this kind
> of thing. I'm
> still amazed that my laptop only uses about 11W when
> idle with the
> screen dimmed.

Yeah... now try designing something to run for
*10* hours on a battery smaller than your laptops!
:<  ("my head hurts")

> [snip]
> > And, with The Pig running flat out, we're
> > looking at 5971 W-Hr/Hr (6480-509).  Hmmm...
> > that seems high.  IIRC, it's a 30A circuit...
>
> 6000 W / 120V = 50A .. does seem high.. it isn't
> running 240V is it?

Yes, it's a 220V unit.  I don't recall how many
tons.

And, it is possible I have forgotten how to "do
the math" when reading a watt-hour meter  :<
(like "Kelly" in MWC -- once your head gets full,
stuff falls out as you try to cram new stuff in!)
((or, at least it FEELS that way!!  :> ))

> Even if the numbers are off and you assume its more
> like 25A -> 3kW,
> that puts you at 7-8 times what the cooler runs.
>
> [snip]
> > And, I need to look to see what sort of hit
> > the water bill takes from the swamp cooler.
> > This will be harder to figure since the yard
> > also has higher water needs at the same time
> > the cooler does!  :<
>
> I can never understand the problem other people had
> claiming high
> water usage from the cooler. In the peak of the
> summer when our
> mastercool ran all the time, we had a water bill of
> about $25 per
> month. That was at most about 10-15 more than
> winter. The cooler would
> flush and drain about once per day and would drain
> less than 5
> gallons. I would capture this in a reservoir
> (bucket) an use it to
> water my plants, so it was not really wasted. In any
> case, even with
> evaporation, that puts you at *maybe* 7-8 gallons
> per day. I'm all
> about not wasting water, but that doesn't seem that
> bad to me. Is that
> even equivalent to a 15 minute shower?

Our cooler flushes at least once or twice per day.
I think the "flush pump" runs open loop at something
like "flush after 6 hours".  So, if the cooler runs
100% during the daylight/dusk hours, that's at least
two flushes per day *plus* whatever water the cooler
pumped into the house (sorry, too many years since
I've had to do *that* sort of math... :< )

I need to reclaim the water -- along with the
condensate from the ACbrrr... --- but both are
in hard to plumb locations.  (I am not fond of
creating "eyesores" just to move the water from
A to B).  I am hoping to tackle this whenever
I can get around to building a cistern
(anyone have a section of 3-4' culvert they don't
want??  :> )

As I said, it is hard to know what the true water
use is by examining the water bill -- since we have
far too many water hungry plantings in the yard
and Summer really beats on their water needs  :<
(sure, having fresh oranges is "way cool" -- until
you realize what a PITA they are to maintain!!)

--don