[Tfug] Frustrating: determining eth0 or eth1

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Sun Jun 24 15:30:06 MST 2007

Debian Etch and above uses persistent network interferfaces, based on
MAC addresses.

It drives me nuts with my classes, as if a student moves between
computers (each with a via rhine and an rtl8169) they get two new
interfaces, and networking is setup on the old interfaces
(/etc/network/interfaces).

You can change this by editing /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_pesistent_net (or
something close to that).

                                            Harry