[Tfug] Frustrating: determining eth0 or eth1

Matt Jacob matt.jacob at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 13:42:04 MST 2007

Hey guys:

I recently swapped out my network card for a better one, and now the
kernel is all confused. There was only one NIC in the box to begin
with, and there's still only one now, but for some reason Debian is
acting like the drunk uncle who can never remember your name.

According to syslog, we're dealing with eth0:

Jun 24 13:31:10 ned kernel: eth0: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0001e000,
00:04:5A:5D:83:71, IRQ 11.

However, I need this in my /etc/network/interfaces in order for the
card to come up automatically on boot:

auto eth1
allow-hotplug eth1
iface eth1 inet static
    address 10.1.1.3
    netmask 255.0.0.0
    gateway 10.1.1.1

Looking at dmesg is equally confusing:

ned:~# dmesg|grep eth
eth0: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0001e000, 00:04:5A:5D:83:71, IRQ 11.
eth1: Setting full-duplex based on MII#1 link partner capability of 45e1.
eth1: no IPv6 routers present

Any ideas? I've been toying with the idea of taping the Debian
squiggly logo up on a target when I go to the range later this
afternoon...

Matt