[Tfug] headless systems

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 18:04:56 MST 2007

On 6/22/07, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Andrew Ayre <andy at britishideas.com> wrote:
>
> > We use ssh on all our servers, whether they are in
> > the same room or in a
> > different country. Never had any problems with it.
> > Works fine with Suse,
> > Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu... We no longer use telnet or
> > ftp. I guess there
> > is no advantage to using ssh on a LAN, but for us
>
> Unless you *know* your LAN is physically secure
> and *trust* everyone in your organization (i.e. they
> all have root's password), then you still have a need
> to run ssh on a LAN

Well, since I'm only building the network for my own personal
interests I'm pretty confident it will be safe.

> Why not just run a X session on it?  xdm(1) is
> your friend...

See, that's interesting. Like I said, I'm not really familiar how
people accomplish this. It's clear that there are many ways.
I just want the one that's fool proof, a complete solution, and
easy. Oh wait, that takes the fun out of it.

So you're saying I start an X session who's clients are on the
other pc's? I'm sorry I haven't read the man page yet, but I
don't know that this would even be covered in them. Are the
X sessions mutually exlcusive? Meaning that while the
session is being served apps from one computer, it can't
be served apps from itself or some other computer. I was
under the impression that the X server/client model was
developed under the thinking that the computers connected
to a server don't always have the computing power as the
server, so the idea is to get the server (not x server) to
carry the load of the apps (clients). If this understanding is
right, can x clients on multiple servers be displayed under
one x session. Am I even making sense here? Hopefully. Let
me know if you need me to elaborate ~ Chris

Q: What did the zen buddhist say to the hotdog vendor?

A: Make me one with everything ~ Dr. Jonathan Katz