[Tfug] Tfug] *Way* OT: Swamp c

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 22 13:44:36 MST 2007

--- George Cohn <gwcohn at simplybits.net> wrote:

> Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
> > I was
> > poking fun at the Linux zealot for whom their OS
> is the solution
> > to every problem in the world. It is their
> religion, and it
> > applies to every life situation.
>
> An analogy is to a carpenter, everything looks like
> a nail!  ;-)

I think it's more a case of said carpenter never
having been exposed to a building material other
than *wood*!  :<

Most people work in very narrow application domains
and, as such, aren't exposed to the constraints
and capabilities of other domains.  So, they
tend to think that everything *must* be done with
their set of "tools", etc.

I remember the belly-laugh I had when I read the
Inferno folks touting how their system had such
a *small* footprint -- "in as little as 1 MB".
I guess it's all relative... :>