[Tfug] *Way* OT: Swamp coolers, ACbrrs, etc.

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 18:35:01 MST 2007

--- Adrian <choprboy at dakotacom.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 June 2007 17:28, Bexley Hall wrote:
> >
> > --- Adrian <choprboy at dakotacom.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Well now.... I would go out on a limb and say
> that,
> > > until the humidity exceeds
> > > ~75% (WAG), a swamp cooler will ALWAYS be more
> > > efficient than an AC unit. Now
> > > notice... I said more efficient, not more
> > > comfortable...
> >
> > *assuming* the cooler can actually *get* to the
> > desired "indoor temperature"...
> >

> Bah.... silly details....

In code, those are called "bugs"!  :>

> > > Swamp -
> > >   Fan 120V*2.5A = 300W
> > >   Pump 120V*0.25A = 30W
> > >   40% duty cycle == 3.2kWh/day
> >
> > I'd disagree with the duty cycle assessment --
> esp.
> > at this time of year.  Ours runs full out to
> maintain
> > an indoor temperature of ~78-80.  Note that swamp
> > cooler can't "coast" as long as the ACbrrr --
> because
> > the windows are open
>
> Well... I based my calc of current temperatures and
> my units performance.
> Currently it is running about 35min per hour during
> daylight and 15min per
> hour at night to maintain temperature. (I put in a
> digital thermostat which
> automatically turns the swamp cooler on and off,
> pre-wetting the pads). I

Yes, our controller does the same thing.  And
apparently remembers when the fan was last run
so it doesn't naively reinsert this delay *each*
time cooling is called for...

> only keep 1 bathroom window up high open... so hot
> air blowing in isn;t a problem.

Hmmm... does that really *work*?  I open windows
in all of the rooms (just a little -- but not so
little as to create a high static pressure)
when running the cooler.  How does having a
*single* exhaust point affect air flow through
the other "stub" rooms in the house?