[Tfug] BYOB [Bring Your Own Box] Event

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Wed Jun 20 17:15:21 MST 2007

erich wrote:

> Your talking to a guy that used to fix ailing components in TV
> sets. These skills are a dying art, like piano tuning.

I learned electronics a *long* time ago by repairing radios and early
TV's with those strange things in them called vacuum tubes.

A sort of hot transistor that could withstand a short, heat to cherry
red, and still function after cooling down.

I remember transistors once described as a device that protects a
fast-acting fuse by blowing first!  ;-)

Nowadays entire systems are on one chip and no one could afford the
labor costs to repair them.

George Cohn