[Tfug] *Way* OT: Swamp coolers, ACbrrs, etc.

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Mon Jun 18 19:05:01 MST 2007

> if (outdoor_temp > indoor_temp + 25)
>    dont_use_cooler;

You need to factor in humidity. I would say something more like:
 if (outdoor_temp > indoor_temp + 25 | humidity > 50%)
    dont_use_cooler

Or better yet something like:
if (outdoor_temp < 80)
   break
elseif ((outdoor_temp - 80) / (1 - percent_humitidy/100)^2 > 30)
   use_cooler
else
   use_ac

That keeps you on cooler up to about 105 if the humidity stays under
10%, but quickly drops the bar as humidity rises. I'm sure there would
be a better way based on equations that describe evaporation rates,
conservation of energy, pv=nrt, etc, but I'm way to lazy to think that
hard about it right now. Also, your cooler may need tweaking of the
cutoff temp and humidity exponent, but mine was great well into the
hundreds as long as the humidity was low. It was monsoon season that
killed it.
JDR