[Tfug] Machine Rehabilitation

Nick Lopez i.am at the.glowingmonkey.org
Fri Jun 15 22:41:41 MST 2007

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 09:30:47PM -0700, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
> On 06/14/2007 12:14 PM, Claude Rubinson wrote:
> > Debian doesn't do releases in the traditional sense, so the
> > question is basically moot.  Basically, the stable release is a
> > snapshot of the codebase as a particular point in time
> > (specifically, a point in time at which there are a limited
> > number of release critical bugs).
  How is that different than any other release?  Not that that's actually
how Debian releases happen.

> You are absolutely correct. The way I was attempting to compare
> support for Etch with Ubuntu is like this. Etch will receive
> security updates at least until Lenny becomes stable. But how
> long after Lenny becomes stable will Etch continue to receive
> security updates, if at all?

http://www.debian.org/security/faq#lifespan says:
Q: How long will security updates be provided?

A: The security team tries to support a stable distribution for about one
year after the next stable distribution has been released, except when
another stable distribution is released within this year. It is not possible
to support three distributions; supporting two simultaneously is already
difficult enough.

  - Nick Lopez
    spamtrap at glowingmonkey.org

  -- Randomly selected signature --