[Tfug] 501 HELO requires valid address

Robert Hunter hunter at tfug.org
Wed Jun 13 20:48:41 MST 2007

> I'm using the cox smtp server, and I have a domain for incoming mail.
> I can retrieve mail from the from the pop3 server, but I can't send it.

501 is a generic SMTP error that indicates "Syntax error in parameters or
arguments". The server also says that the error is in response to your
client's HELO command.  The argument following HELO should probably be
the hostname of your client, so it is possible that your client is not
sending a hostname that the server likes.  I am not familiar with your
client, but if  you like looking at network packets ( good nerd fun ),
use something like tcpdump, or ethereal to capture the SMTP dialog.  Look
for your client's HELO command, and that should tell you what you need to
correct in your client's configuration.

--
Rob