[Tfug] Machine Rehabilitation

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Tue Jun 12 19:08:08 MST 2007

On Jun 12, 2007, at 10:28 am, Claude Rubinson wrote:

> Not trolling
Uh huh? Then this isn't a flame :-)

There's nothing unreasonable or funny in any of the quotes on that
page. For myself, Gentoo would be a massive waste of time and energy,
but for certain groups, it makes complete sense.

1. where the additional preparation time can be ignored in favor of
the increased performance yield
2. minimalist builds
3. oddball architectures

If all you're going to do is run a browser and a few office apps,
then Gentoo isn't for you. Or maybe it is! Maybe you're a geek who
wants to learn about how an OS is built!

If Gentoo is for [insert racist pejorative] then OpenSuSE is fo yo
mom. thrrp.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend Gentoo to Henry. I like the
recommendations for DSL and AntiX (should that be pronounced
"antichrist"? Hmm...) I'd also consider miniBSD -- looks pretty good,
and this page is a pretty good lead for other minimalist BSDs.
https://neon1.net/misc/minibsd.html

R.