[Tfug] Qmail and Open Relay

Brian Murphy murphy+tfug at email.arizona.edu
Fri Jun 8 18:57:26 MST 2007

Quoting Andrew Ayre <andy at britishideas.com>:
> Brian,
>
> Thanks for responding. Can you elaborate on why it looks like local
> delivery? Perhaps I can't see the woods for the trees?
>
> 202.99.204.66 isn't the IP address of my server.
> sohu.com isn't a domain in /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts or
> /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains

I say that because there are not received headers with servers after
yours.

The To: and From: header don't control who gets the email.  There are
hidden "envelope" recipients passed during the SMTP protocol
interaction between servers. (rcpt to:)  I've never run qmail so I
can't tell you what specifically to look for but this should get you
moving in the right direction.  The header had an enevelope-from <> (an
empty address).  Your mail log will probably have the envelope recipient
list.

A relay is when your server takes in an email and passes it to another
server.  A local delivery is when your server takes the message in and
delivers it to a local user.

Brian

The opinions or statements expressed herein are my own and should not be
taken as a position, opinion, or endorsement of the University of
Arizona.