[Tfug] Qmail and Open Relay

Andrew Ayre andy at britishideas.com
Fri Jun 8 10:45:37 MST 2007

I'm hoping someone can give me a couple of pointers on this.

We have a server running Debian Sarge and Qmail. The server uses rcpthosts
to restrict incoming mail to only those domains that exist on the server.

We have noticed in the log files that people appear to be sending spam
through our server. The headers indicate the spam is coming from outside the
server via SMTP. However when we try to duplicate the method ourselves we
always get the rcpthosts rejection message. It seems to us that our server
is not running as an open relay. It also passed all the tests at
http://www.abuse.net/relay.html.

If we reboot the server and empty the qmail send queue the spamming stops
for an unknown period of time then starts again. We don't know how long this
period is but it's longer than half an hour. This seems strange to us.

Here is an example set of headers. We've changed the identifying
name/location of our server so the details arn't archived on the TFUG
website for everyone to see. We've also changed the email address of the
spam victim (but not the domain).