[Tfug] Indian restaurant

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Thu Jun 7 06:59:07 MST 2007

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 12:52:14AM -0400, Ryan Cresawn wrote:
> Can someone recommend an Indian restaurant in Tucson?  I'm looking
> for great food.  The decor isn't important.

As far as I know, there are five Indian restaurants in Tucson: India
Oven, Gandhi's, Shar-E-Punjab, New Delhi Palace, and Kababeque.

Reviews are available from the Weekly:
http://www.tucsonweekly.com/gbase/Best/Content?section=oid%3A45993&year=2006
http://www.tucsonweekly.com/gbase/Archives/index?cuisine=Indian

The only one that I haven't eaten at is New Delhi Palace.  As for the
others, the problem is that--speaking as someone who lived in Atlanta
and Berkeley and dated a Hindu for a number of years--they all suck,
despite what you might hear from others.  Given the choices, I prefer
Shar-E-Punjab but the nice thing is that there are so few, you don't
need to take recommendations from others.  "Do it yourself."  That's
the Linux philosophy, right?  But, regardless, I'd recommend low
expectations.

Claude

p.s.  By the way, despite the silly name (or, perhaps, because of it)
Kababeque (right outside the University) is a hoot.  I wouldn't make a
special trip to it but for a quick bite during lunch, it's
surprisingly good.  They wallpaper is "The faces of Indian cinema" and
they've always got an Indian movie playing on the t.v.  They also
deliver, so I can frequently be found eating them while doing my
research.