[Tfug] Got Virtualbox up and Win2k running as a task!

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 21:35:29 MST 2007

It freakin' WORKS.

Background: I have a really low-end new laptop, a $399 special Asus
from Beast Buy based on a Centrino 1.6 "single core".  Came with
512megs RAM and an 80gig HD, I happened to have a pair of 1gig memory
modules that fit laying around from something else.

I did some study before buying.  The Atheros WiFi and Intel 950
graphics are all Linux-friendly and sure enough the thing runs Feisty
without a hitch.  With all that RAM on tap I fed the card all it could
take (128megs) and Beryl runs great.

Unfortunately there was no Vista Basic boot CD with the critter and NO
WAY TO CREATE ONE (because the Vista was too "basic" to support OS
backups natively!).  So hell with it, I just nuked it when I installed
Ubuntu.

Innotek's "Virtualbox" in turn got Win2k up.  I fed it 640megs, plenty
to run MS-Office 2000 with MS-Access which I need for disassembly of
election data files.

Next step will be networking the two processes.  Right now transfer
between them is kinda ugly, I have to put whatever is going into the
Win2k virtual machine into an ISO file and then mount that as a
virtual CD in Win2k.  Adequate though for what I'm
doing...cross-networking will be a bonus if I can get it.

Jim