[Tfug] My experience "recovering" Windows compared to installingDebian

Andrew Ayre andy at britishideas.com
Sat Jul 28 21:30:40 MST 2007

johngalt1 wrote:

> It's not necessary to defend the evil monopoly, because I
> think they suck too. But, this thread sounds like a skewed
> comparison.
>
> Or, is this an example of "Linux Marketing" to compete with
> Windows BS?

Try installing Windows. It goes like this:

1. Install Windows
2. Go to Windows update to get all the security patches. Nope, Windows
Update has to update itself first. Then force you to reboot.
3. Go to Windows update. It gets several critical patches and program
updates, Then it forces you to reboot.
4. Go to Windows update again. Now there are patches for the stuff you
just got. Then it forces you to reboot.

This repeats for a while. I've done it many times, and I think this is
the key part of the frustration when installing Windows. It doesn't
matter which security pack you have on the "recovery disk". Apt is a
single step.

Try it for yourself and see...

Andy

--