[Tfug] More wireless woes

Wafa Hakim Orman wafa1024 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 08:48:22 MST 2007

After all that agony trying to use my Motorola wireless card with
ndiswrapper on a dynamic WEP network (it never did work), I bit the
bullet & bought a new wireless card that, from everything I read, was
_supposed_ to work out of the box.

Since I don't expect anyone to remember the previous thread, I'm
running Kubuntu Feisty on a Toshiba Satellite laptop with a new
Netgear WG115T wireless card that uses the Atheros chipset and Madwifi
driver, both of which are _supposed_ to work seamlessly on Ubuntu.The
wireless network uses dynamic WEP wireless with EAP/MSCHAPV2
authentication.
(The old card could connect just fine, but only in Windows --
ndiswrapper, from everything I
read, could not work with wpa_supplicant using dynamic WEP, and did
not work with xsupplicant at all.)

Now, having installed the new driver, after a series of failed
attempts to use network manager, wpa_supplicant from the command line,
wicd, & kwlan, (uninstalling the others first each time) the card
basically causes the kernel to freeze completely a few minutes after
bootup. Sometimes it'll start attempting to authenticate but the most
I've gotten out of it is about 3 to 4 minutes. I removed the
ndiswrapper modules & blacklisted them because I worried they might be
conflicting; no luck. Also tried removing madwifi-tools & leaving only
the driver, installing wpasupplicant separately; no luck. Abandon all
GUIs & work exclusively from the command line -- authentication starts
but the freeze happens anyway. lsmod shows the drivers seem to be
active long enough for me to copy & paste it into a file; for now
you'll have to take my word for it.

 I googled the problem & it was suggested that people try the 386
kernel & not the generic kernel, since the generic was known to have
issues. However, I never had the generic kernel -- mine was always the
386. (I checked.) Another suggestion was hardware issues,  but it
works perfectly on Windows so I know that is not the case.

Oh, and it always freezes instantly if I dare to insert the wireless
card while the computer is on, before the card's lights come on. Eject
the card & the screen goes blank. Poof.

Does anyone have an idea what might be going on, & what I could do to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Wafa.

--
"So be it."