[Tfug] "Linux is a forking mess."

Ljubica Punosevac punosevac72 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 20 22:25:34 MST 2007

>From: "Earl" <earljviolet at juno.com>
>To: tfug at tfug.org
>Subject: Re: [Tfug] "Linux is a forking mess."
>Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 23:39:07 GMT
>
>On 7/19/07, Ashley Pritchard <linuxpen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I feel the article is very correct. There are too many distributions
>to be
> > able to compete for the PC with microsoft. Linux will never be able
>to win
> > over the desktop without a standardized distribution.
>
>We have xwindows which is extremely versatile and customizable and
>standard.  The command line seems standard, not only between Linux
>distributions, but between Linux and the BSDs and Solaris.  Emacs and
>Vi are extremely standard.
>
> > The Linux community
> > bickers too much over worthless nuances & ways of doing something
>
>Most bickering I see in the Linux community seems to be about the
>amount of bickering in the Linux community.  Actually most of it is
>really whining.
>
>There is a lot of discussion, that's for sure.  Sometimes it is heated.
>  Maybe a little more decorum is called for.  That's a problem with
>democracy, everyone doesn't agree on everything.
>
> > The whole
> > Open Source rules are holding Linux back from  being  competitive  as
>well.
> > Along with DMCA & Patents the Open Source concept of "Free" software (ei
> > Free Speech) has placed the legality of getting multimedia
>applications to
> > work on to the user, who theoretically places their freedom on the line
>just
> > to get to view a DVD or listen to an MP3 on a system not running
>windows or
> > a Mac.
>
>So should Linux break the laws or should people find legislators to
>change these laws?  Or should each person be allowed to personally pay
>to use these multimedia applications to work?  I'd like a solution to
>this problem myself.
>
>I can't see a group like FSF paying a licensing fee so I can use their
>software for free.  I'd rather see my contributions go to maintaining
>software.
>
> > The developers of the distributions refuse to take responsibility to
> > make Linux completely usable & refuse to compromise the idea of Open
> > Source/"Free" concepts but neither does the other side.
>
>Well ... they are the people who write the software.  Most donate their
>time or have their time donated by companies employing them to work on
>open source.  I don't think this is their responsibility as they are
>driven by the open source concept.  They have NO responsibility to
>write or maintain this software or the distributions or anything they
>do unless they have contractual obligations to do so.
>
>I find, if I am unhappy with the way a distribution is run, I install
>another distribution.  If I don't like a program, I use apt-get to
> [...]

I just want to say HI to everybody. I was very happy to found out about you
guys from the FreeBSD website. I don't know much about Linux  except that I
have been using Ubuntu and before that Red Hat at U of A for the past 4
years. I was always intimidated by the shire number of Linux distros.
Before that I most of Universities I was affiliated with had Sun Solaris
workstations which I loved.
At home I have obviously run FreeBSD.
I hope there are more of the BSD guys around so that I can learn the stuff
since by CS education I could be classified as a hobbiest.