[Tfug] Troubleshooting an X/TCP/appliance/OS hazzard

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 16:18:05 MST 2007

--- Ammon Lauritzen <ammon at simud.org> wrote:

> Bexley Hall wrote:
> > Any suggestions of other "easy" (?) tests to help
> > isolate whether the problem is in the X terminal,
> > SS5, OS, etc.?
>
> Obligatory "have you tried plugging it in?" type
> question here.
>
> Does the SS5 have an 100base nic? I've only ever
> noticed that sort of
> lag while doing remote X sessions over slow
> connections.

It has three IF's... not sure which is in use
currently.

*But*, note that the "lag" -- which can be as much
as several (e.g., 5) *seconds* -- is not present
all the time.  E.g., I can repaint huge portions
of the screen continuously (e.g., displaying an
animation) but then it will "suddenly" insert
this "pause", then resume, etc.  I guesstimate
the pauses come about once or twice a minute
and have no apparent relationship to anything
else happening on the machine (recall the machine
is *very* lightly loaded and there is *no* other
network traffic; furthermore, the two devices
are connected via a switch, not a hub, etc.)

Note, also, that the "pause" can also manifest
itself solely in the "output" (from the SS5)
channel.  E.g., I use xpat2(1) as a simple
way to test this problem.  There are times
when it will appear to ignore my "card selections"
(xpat2 is a solitaire like game) and then
suddenly "respond" to those seemingly ignored
mouse clicks in one rapid series of actions.

At other times, e.g., when painting the initial
card layout, it will pause after having drawn N
cards, wait a few seconds, then rapidly paint
the remaining card images, etc.