[Tfug] incorrect super block

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 19:04:44 MST 2007

Hi everyone, I'm trying to deal with what seems to be a corrupt
super block. In FreeBSD when I issue

mount /dev/ad0s2c /mnt/chs

I get

mount: /dev/ad0s2c on /mnt/chs: incorrect super block.
I have it partitioned as a ufs partition (165), of which other
partions mount with this command.

Can someone help me fix this? Do I need to run disklabel,
or newfs? Which one controls this?

Actually if some one can point me to a good explanation
of the partion process, I would really appreciate it. I've
always had a hard time finding info on it. I understand the
whole Unix/MS Partition/Slice thing, as well as the Unix
partition/slice thing, but from what I can gather, the whole
process of partitioning/slicing in unix goes

fdisk -> disklabel -> newfs

Is that right? What does each do? And how do I deal with
rendering a specific slice that either has a corrupt super
block, or I just want to convert from one thing to
another?

Ok, a lot of questions here. Really, I just want to get my
177 gB of ad0s2 back

~ Chris

--
Q: What did the zen buddhist say to the hotdog vendor?

A: Make me one with everything ~ Dr. Jonathan Katz