[Tfug] Wi-Fi deployment update

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Sat Jul 14 11:43:01 MST 2007

Robert Hunter wrote:
> A few months ago I posted a query about Wi-Fi, and since then I've
> learned a bit about a number of related topics.

Where I used to work, they installed two separate Wi-Fi networks.  One
is fairly secure using Cisco Aeronet for the mobile laptops and the
wireless voip application.

The other is a totally open connection right to the Internet for guests.
  The interesting thing about the second network is that there is no
firewall at all.  It's up to the roaming guest to provide their own
protection.  I think they pass out flyers stating that fact.

I hang out at PCC a lot and discovered that sometime in the near past,
they have started blocking certain ports on their public Wi-Fi net.

I took in my laptop and UtStarcom Wi-Fi phone a few months ago and was
able to connect to my Asterisk server at home and place calls.  Now, I
get no registration of either client with the server.  Have also heard
from others that Skype does not work there either.

Wonder what they thought the risk was?  It may be related to the fact
that they are rolling out VOIP at PCC and took a preemptive block on
wireless voip.

George Cohn