[Tfug] Wi-Fi deployment update

Robert Hunter hunter at tfug.org
Sat Jul 14 01:00:30 MST 2007

A few months ago I posted a query about Wi-Fi, and since then I've
learned a bit about a number of related topics.  I've purchased a bunch
of Linksys WRT54GL's and installed OpenWRT firmware on them, and
distributed them throughout the building.  I'm using a WDS (repeater)
configuration, which is quite easy to setup.  I tested various WPA2
configurations with some limited success.  I never planned on learning
anything about Certificate Authorities, or openssl, freeradius, etc, but
that was an interesting diversion (I guess).  Ultimately, I discovered
that not all clients are able to do WPA2.  For example, one of the
faculty recently picked up an iPhone, which is an amazing little device
that can do Wi-Fi, but apparently not WPA2.  Moral(s) of the story: 1)
WRT54GL + OpenWRT kicks ass.  2) One of these days, secure enterprise
Wi-Fi might be cheap and easy, but for now I have to settle for less.

--
Rob