[Tfug] unix philosophy

kelley g services at toasterz.com
Tue Jul 10 00:28:21 MST 2007

> Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 22:48:01 -0700
> From: Rich <r-lists at studiosprocket.com>
> Subject: [Tfug] Whatever happened to the Unix Philosophy?
> To: Tucson Free Unix Group <tfug at tfug.org>
>
> Hi folks,
>
> Does anyone know of a Linux server package that allows me to cherry-
> pick the MS Exchange-compatible components I need? We need shared
> calendars, with a strong preference for Outlook (not my choice).
>
> All the offerings I've found so far (Zarafa, Opengroupware, Kolab)
> are bloated simulacra of the MS suite. I don't need email, Samba,
> CUPS, and so on -- got 'em already! Just the calendars, darn it.
>
> It's ironic that, going down the Mozilla route only really requires
> WebDAV...
>
> R.

the problem that for outlook connectivity, (MAPI) you're reverse engineering a fat black box.
if you're locked into outlook then you've got some bloat. outlook is the unfortunate 'standard' gropupware client.
(yes, i know the problems, shortcomings, poor code etc.)  most mainstream organizations think they have to have it to do business.

have you looked at the sogo project? (scalable opengroupware). it's based on opengroupware.org code, but addresses session data and other bottlenecks.

kerio is a nice little groupware package.
citadel.org might be something for you to look into.
also scalix does a pretty good job if you need full outlook connectivity.
communigate has an interesting collection of features (not open source) as well as full outlook connectivity.
bynari has a groupware server, but i've never cared for it.

the groupware concept extends into document collaboration, social networking, messaging etc.
every company's needs are different, so developers scratch whatever itch for their company and
the code gets pretty big pretty fast.

however, if you dig into each open source offering you'll find that the unix design philosophy is alive and well.

let us know what you decide and how it goes.

--

kelley g

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
http://toasterz.com