[Tfug] Install problem

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Mon Jul 9 20:38:49 MST 2007

Robert Hunter wrote:

> Perhaps a bit late for this suggestion, but if you forget your root
> password, there is no need to reinstall.  You just need to boot from a
> boot disk, mount the root partition, and edit /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow.
>  The exact details are given at many web sites.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=recover+root+password+linux

Even simpler than that.  When you get the grub screen, hit "e", scroll
down to kernel... and hit "e" again.  Add single user to kernel
parameter and "b" for boot.

It will boot into single user mode and you can passwd and change the
root password.

I did this on a Ubuntu installation this afternoon to show an instructor
how to recover from a lost password.

George Cohn