[Tfug] Another poser

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Mon Jul 9 17:12:41 MST 2007

On Jul 9, 2007, at 2:42 pm, Bexley Hall wrote:

> But, how should commands for which man pages do not
> *exist* be referenced?  I.e., commands whose man
> pages have not YET been written or are otherwise
> unavailable?

Brian's answer leads in the right direction. A wrapper for man could
maybe reference info, or generate something on the fly based on some
regexs:

(1) If it's an executable and its path contains "/bin"
(2), (3) or (9) If it's a header file or library (how to distinguish
the two?)
(4) If its path is /dev
(5) If it's any other ascii file
(6) hm... would probably be caught by (1)
(7) probably would be caught by (4) or (5)
(8) if its path contains "/sbin"
(n) ?
(o) ?
(l) executables in "/opt/local" and "/usr/local"

That's where I'd start.
R.