[Tfug] Xsupplicant woes -- setup misery

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Mon Jul 9 11:26:41 MST 2007

I had a similar experience a few months back.. I have gotten to the
point where I can use WPA2 networks when I need them, so I'll point to
a couple  of things..
First, i would recommend wpasupplicant. It seems to be a little easier
to deal with than xsupplicant, and you should be able to apt-get it.
Second, if you want to store your login and passwords in plaintext
files, I think you can get things going pretty easily so that it loads
the wireless with a simple 'ifup wlan0' or what have you, but my
institution seems to force me to use one login/pass for everything
university related, so I didn't like that idea very much.
So the answer seems to be to use network manager with the kde or gnome
front end (you don't need to use gnome or kde, just have to load the
libs). Now, I think its stupid to have to login to x to connect to the
network, but that's the way it goes for now.. I read somewhere that
work is in progress on a better solution.
Anyway, these frontends to network-manager will store your passphrase
in either gnome-keyring or kwallet if you set those up, but I just go
ahead and type it in when it prompts me.
One quick note, if you use network manager, some people think you
cannot have device mappings in your /etc/network/interfaces file, but
in fact you can, you just can't set the interface.
So in the end, I have names like home or work in my interfaces file
for various wireless aps, and I just don't have wlan0 show up
anywhere.. that way I can use "ifup wlan0=home" if I don't want to use
knetworkmanager.
edit /etc/network/interfaces and make sure the wireless interface is
not set or is set to auto
fireup knetworkmanager and select the network and options

Hope that helps,
JDR