[Tfug] Need help troubleshooting autofs problems

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Mon Jul 9 11:12:21 MST 2007

On Jul 8, 2007, at 7:09 pm, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:

> I am setting up my wife's desktop with autofs to mount a samba
> share. I can manually mount the share with smbmount, but it is
> not mounting with autofs, and I do not see any errors.

Why autofs? Does the samba share keep disappearing?

Can you mount the share with mount?
   mount -t smbfs -o username=Guest,password=  //host/share  /mnt/
mountpoint

The equivalent line in fstab is:
//host/share  /mnt/mountpoint  smbfs  username=Guest,password=  0 1

After adding that you should mount -a.

> I am using this same setup successfully on another machine.
What does its entry look like in fstab?
Are you sure the mountpoint exists?

> 1. Does anybody have any experience with autofs that might help?

> 2. Can anyone point me to some other logs that might help?

Maybe something in /var/log/samba, otherwise dmesg, messages, syslog.

R.